Oxford is all a visitor can expect – lots of historic monuments, imposing buildings and an atmosphere of learning. But a day’s walk in town reveals a lighter side of this grand place. Here’s a short list of 7 things I smiled about:
1. Pylones – a great little shop to get your Christmas stocking fillers and lots of quirky, colourful (and useful!) items that will make you smile.
Although this one is somewhat precariously leaning forward, I wonder when it’s finally going to take a bow….
3. Chinese dumplings in Oxford city centre were yummy and unexpected. The only country that was not represented in this market, was England…..
4. Boat trips looked like a great idea, but for some other time, maybe a warm summer’s day – too damp and cold in autumn or winter.
5. In the early Middle Ages, there had to be appropriate measures in place to deal with too much fun in this college town crawling with young people – it seems Oxford castle served as a prison for misbehaving students in the 13th century.
6. People here seem to be really sporty – the town is full of bicycles and some of them could even be called statement pieces.
Seven smiles – a day well spent!